Sunday, April 17, 2011

Tomato Soup with a Mexican Touch

I saw this soup idea on a blog that I follow & I really wanted to try it! I did make some changes, so I will give you my version of the soup! Dan and I both enjoyed it!
You will need:
-One onion, chopped
-4 cloves of garlic
-2 cans of crushed tomatoes
-one can of corn
-1 tsp of salt
-1/2 tsp of pepper
-1 tsp ground cumin
-1/2 - 1 cup of milk, depending on how you like it
-1 cup of chicken broth
-2 1/2 cups of shredded chicken breasts
-1/4 cup of bacon pieces
-1/2 of a green pepper
-1 cup of black beans

First off you must get your black beans cooking. if you add a tsp of baking soda it helps the process.

Now you have to put your onion and garlic in a food processor or blender. If using a blender I recommend putting a bit of water in it.


We used up the rest of our roasted garlic, mmm.
Next step is to put your crushed tomatoes on medium heat and then add your onion, garlic mixture.

Then add your milk and chicken broth. I would recommend adding a bit of water as well. You want a nice soupy consistancy. My soup was a little thick. Add the pepper, salt, cumin, corn, bacon &green pepper.

Once your beans are done rinse them well & add them. Also chop up your chicken then add that.
Now your ready to eat! It was yummy! Not counting the beans, this meal takes all of 15 minutes to put together. Its super quick and a fun change to the traditional tomato soup. Enjoy!
xo

2 comments: