Monday, January 16, 2012

Garlic and Cilantro Naan

Mmmm...Naan. I love naan. It goes great with so many tasty dishes! I am going to be honest with you...this was my very first time making naan. I know, I know..I always say that I make things from scratch, but I don't. :( I always just end up buying naan. I feel so much better after confessing that. hahahh. Although I always buy naan, I would recommend you make it yourself. It tastes wayyy better. Here is what you need to make yourself some naan! *This recipe makes three*
  • 2 1/2 cups of white bread flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tbsp ground coriander
  • 1 garlic clove, very finely chopped
  • 1 tsp active dry yeast
  • 2 tsp honey
  • 1/2 cup lukewarm water
  • 4 tbsp plain yogurt
  • 1 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
Step one:
In a large bowl mix together flour, salt, and coriander. Stir in the garlic and yeast.
 Make a well in the center and add the honey, lukewarm water, yogurt and oil. Stir well so that the dough comes together. Knead it with your hands so that you get everything off the sides of the bowl. Take the dough and place it onto a floured counter. Continue to knead it well. Do this until it becomes smooth and elastic.






Step two:
Make your dough into a ball. Brush your bowl with oil and make sure you get oil on all the sides of your ball. Cover with a damp cloth and let it rise for 1-2 hrs. Make sure the dough doubles in size.



Step four:
Preheat the oven to 475F. Prepare your three cookie sheets, and place them in the oven. You need them to be hot. Take your dough and place it on a floured counter top again. Punch the dough down with your fist. I like that part :) Now divide your dough into three equal pieces. Roll them out a little bit then brush both sides with oil. Roll them all into a tear drop shape.

Step five:
 Place the 3 pieces of naan onto the hot cookie sheets. It kinda sizzles one you put the naan on the sheets. Place your chopped cilantro on the naan evenly. Make it look nice and pretty! Place the sheets into the oven for 5 minutes, until puffed up.


Take them out and transfer the naan to a broiler pan (which we didn't have so we just placed the naan onto our shelves in the oven) brush with some more oil and broil for 2 minutes. You need to watch them the whole time because you don't want them to get too dark or burn...they won't taste nice. Serve them nice and warm!
 Enjoy!
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment