Monday, April 2, 2012

Thai Shrimp Quinoa

I have a confession to make. I have a slight pinterest addiction. This past week while I was sick I finally figured out how pinterest works..and..I am officially hooked. What's not to love about people sharing amazing recipes and ideas? Anyways, this excellent recipe came from pinterest. It is inspired from a wonderful blog called http://iowagirleats.com. Of course you should all know me by know and I changed the recipe :) I have a nice board on pinterest devoted to scrumptious recipes that I would like to try. Most of which are desserts, so it will probably take me awhile to try all of them! *I'm trying to get my body ready for summer!*  Pinterest has been giving me more than just recipes, it has been filling my head with ideas! I basically want to decorate and make crafts all the time. I have already redone our spear bedroom! I have one more coat of paint to do, so I will post some pictures later this week!

This recipe was super great. It was different than any other quinoa recipe that I've tried. Different in a very good way. Here is what you need to make this yourself:

  • 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
  • 1 cup lite coconut milk
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 2 green onions, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon  minced ginger
  • 2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 1 cup frozen peas or a can of peas
  • 1-8oz can pineapple tidbits, drained
  • 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
  • 16 pieces of shrimp (as little or as many as you would like. Precooked)
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • garnish with chopped peanuts




Step one:
Rinse your cup of quinoa. Cook like rice. Instead of using 2 cups of water use 1 cup of coconut milk and 1 cup of chicken broth. *Put on medium high heat and bring it to a boil. Once it boils bring it down to low and cover it. Cook like that for 15 minutes or more. You want all of the water to be absorbed.*
Step two:
Heat up  a large frying pan (or wok) on medium heat & spray some non stick spray. Add the green onion, garlic and ginger. Cook for a minute or so. Make sure you do not burn the garlic or ginger.
Add the peas, cilantro and pineapple. Cook for another 2 minutes or so.

Step three:
Push all of the yumminess around the edge of the pan. Create a space in the centre. In a small bowl beat the two eggs then add them to the space in the pan. Like so...
Step four:
Let the egg cook there for a minute or so then use your spoon to stir the egg into everything else. Add your (peeled and precooked) shrimp. Also add the cooked quinoa, the lemon juice and the soy sauce. Stir it all together and fry it up for a few minutes. Serve warm with chopped peanuts on top. SO GOOD.
I highly recommend this recipe (which makes sense..it is on my blog!)
I had a really great week of food. We made banana chocolate chip muffins, whole wheat bread, whole wheat zucchini chocolate chip muffins(which are already on the blog), crock pot orange chicken AND Dan made me Israeli lamb kabobs. With all that said, do you think I took pictures of it all? NOPE. I am terrible. haha Anyways at  least I took pictures of one meal this week!
Happy Monday everyone!
xo
Britt

No comments:

Post a Comment